The sale of your principal residence is exempt from tax on capital gains. However, there are many factors to consider in determining which property should qualify as your principal residence for this exemption. You only have to live in a property for one week per year in order for it to qualify. Therefore, if you have gains on a qualifying vacation property which exceeds the gains on the main residence in which you ordinarily reside, you may want to claim the vacation property as your principal residence.