If a taxpayer is a resident of Canada, and they receive United States Social Security benefits, they must report these benefits on their personal tax return in Canada. As a result of the tax treaty between Canada and theĀ United States, a taxpayer only has to pay tax on 85% of the benefits they receive. If they started collecting those benefits prior to 1996, they only have to pay tax on 50% of the benefits.